Sunday, July 8, 2007

Congratulations to my girlfriend Karen McDaniels and her new husband Bruce Allen on their nuptials yesterday! (7-07-07)
To all my single friends, don't give up hope!
There's a single someone out there waiting for us as well! Karen and Bruce were both high school sweethearts some 25 + years ago! How about that.
When they left high school, both enlisted in the army, but went separate ways. Karen moved to NYC, New Jersey, Louisiana and several other states, as well as Bruce, but they always kept in touch, as friends.
That friendship finally went to the next level. Bruce finally popped the question on her last visit to Chicago over a holiday weekend. What was a surprise to me is that Karen invited me to DJ the wedding! (Working as a radio personality on the air in the studio is just a little different)
In all my years in radio, I'd never worked as a DJ., only as an On-Air Talent. This was something new to me. I had to really bring it on because of course she told all of our old high school buddies I would be the guest celebrity DJ.
I figured if I could do it on the air, surely I could DJ in person. My only fear was that someone would ask me to play a song that I didn't have. Of course that didn't happen. I even recieved great revues of a job well done, and invitations to do other events.
I sure am glad I overcame the fear of doing this kind of work in public. Not only would I have missed out on a great opportunity to do something I've always thought about doing, I would have also disappointed my friend, as well as myself.
It goes without saying, you really don't know what you're capable of doing, until you do it!
So! What are you waiting for?

No comments: